The Committee welcomes new members. Membership of ICOMOS IFLA International Scientific Committee on Cultural Landscapes (ISCCL) is open to those who have a desire to share and increase their expertise in this realm. There are several membership categories:
- Contributing Member should have a high-level of knowledge and experience in cultural landscapes.
- Associate Member should have some knowledge and experience in cultural landscapes and a desire to learn more. This category is for emerging professionals early in their heritage career or recently shifted to this realm.
- Expert Voting Member- This member, having at least one three-year term with the ISCCL, has been nominated and accepted as a national representative for Voting.
- Advisory Member- This ISCCL member has more than nine years of contributions and remains active in the work of the ISCCL.
- Honorary Member- Having served the ISCCL and the field of cultural landscapes with significant contributions, this member is elevated to Honorary status and may continue to be active if they choose to participate.
New members coming into the ISCCL will be either Associate or Contributing Members. The ISCCL is actively seeking: broader international members to share their professional views; and emerging professionals working in heritage protection with an interest in cultural landscapes. Membership applications are reviewed for completeness and forwarded on to the Nominating Committee for yearly voting. Voting is generally conducted at or prior to an Annual Meeting and the schedule varies accordingly. To become an ISCCL Member, you are required to provide to the Membership Secretary and President:
- Completed ISCCL Application Form (see pdf to complete) in English, French or Spanish;
- Short curriculum vitae or resume with a focus on cultural landscapes, limited to 3 pages; and
- Letter of support from your country’s ICOMOS or IFLA national committee or from a current member of the ISCCL.
These documents must be submitted at least two months before the Annual Meeting. If all is in order, the results of the voting will be provided shortly after completion. As a member you are responsible for annual reporting each spring and for active participation in meetings committees and working groups during each year.
The ICOMOS-IFLA International Scientific Committee is a joint or ‘hybrid’ committee of ICOMOS and IFLA (International Federation of Landscape Architects). It aims to promote understanding, conservation and wise use of landscape heritage for public and private benefit, with the general purpose of sustaining and improving quality of life.The ISCCL is concerned with the historical, cultural and natural dimensions of landscapes and in promoting an integrated and holistic approach towards conceptual thinking and practical, on-ground management. The Committee is concerned with both the tangible (material) and the intangible (non-material) attributes and values of landscapes. The ISCCL uses the word ‘landscape’ to mean landscapes of all kinds, including for example, Indigenous and local community landscapes; cultivated rural landscapes; urbanized and industrialized landscapes; maritime landscapes; designed parks and gardens; and the settings of buildings, structures, monuments, city centers, towns and villages and archaeological sites.
The ISCCL advises ICOMOS on matters relating to the identification, documentation, assessment, conservation and presentation of cultural landscapes, including those that are nominated or designated as World Heritage sites. The Committee operates through working groups on specialized topics; online discussions; annual meetings; publications and communications; and the organization of conferences, workshops and site visits.